Avoid all fish hooks!

Monday, April 30, 2007

Fishing

Asked my students to write a poem tonight about how to make the most out of one's life before death comes a knocking. We'd been studying Dylan Thomas's "Do Not Go Gentle Into That Good NIght," and after a discussion, we just spit out a poem. Here's what I wrote:

This can't be it.
This can't be it.
I say waking at a new day

There's a window
I see it
A hole in the net
A girl with a novel
she has not mastered yet.

String out a message
put it in a bottle
ship it to shore
tell them I'm trapped.

And then what? Wait?
No!
Ask - ask - ask
for the scissors to use to cut
through this netting.

I am not a fish meant for supper,
but a super Salmon who must
travel upstream,
then I shall die
millions of eggs safely spawned.

1 comment:

AceStings said...

I am one of the eggs you spawned. My life wasn't what I hoped for or even imagined. It has become increasingly hard to carry on when I continue to let myself be used by bad people. But as Jesus said, healthy people don't need a doctor, the sick do.

Thank you for exploding into your own, hard earned glory. I know it gives God great pleasure to see one of her children who had the deck stacked against her from the get-go, overcome and show the world, and her big brother, what success really is.

I am so proud of you! Forever I will love your witness and your soul.

You are what was meant for us all to be. Thank you for being my sister.