Avoid all fish hooks!

Sunday, April 22, 2007

"She Knows the Highest Stakes"

You know that scene in "The Sound of Music," where Julie Andrews sings, "For all of my wicked childhood, I must have done something right"?

That is what I feel today.

I have a benefactor.

The daddy of my novel is my Mama!

Yes, you heard right. My mother, giving all glory to God, has agreed to fund me for a sabbatical to finish my novel! Sitting stunned on the futon for the past two hours, sleeping for another one, and downing a deadly Pepsi (not even Diet!) I am coming alive to the notion that I am a free woman!

Four months of creative freedom in NYC!

Four months that I am accountable to no one BUT ME! No employer, no students, no nagging dread that I have left a chore undone. My work is the novel and I have from June to September to hatch my baby!

Mama, I love you.

I think I'm going to have to take a walk to The Promenade rather than do housework at this moment as I had planned. I'm jumping out of my skin. A ritual of thanks seems in order. Blessings are mine.

I want to tell you: If you think you cannot ask the Universe, the source, God, again and again, you are wrong. Ask. I have been asking for now nearly a year. I have felt the budding of needing a conglomerated amount of alone time to do a piece of work for the past four years. I know now it was my novel, thinly written but a fetus of 11 chapters. Now, I will put on the meat, strengthen the bones, and build the brain! The soul and heart have always been there.

It was there at conception.

"Who doesn't know what I'm talking about? Who's never left home, and struck out, to find a dream and a life of their own, a place in the clouds, a foundation of stone?" - The Dixie Chicks

To My Mama.

No comments: