Avoid all fish hooks!

Friday, May 25, 2007

Meet Me at the Whitney

Last night at 9:45 pm, I said good-night to the last two of my students and realized I had just taught my last physical class. Next week will be finals and that is an in-class essay, no more talking, discussing, cajoling, proding, laughing, stressing, shushing, etc.

Done.

I walked up 34th Street toward the F train and I put my ipod plugs in my ears but not before waving good-night to a group of young men who some are my students. I walked past them and waited for a burst of laughter to signify someone commenting or simply accepting of the student teacher dynamic.

But there was nothing and I walked away before turning on my ipod and I thanked the universe for such a ride. I clicked on "Try it On My Own" with Whitney Houston as I've been doing the past few days and I walked, head held high, passing the Memorial Day growing crowd of tourists, and I walked strong, as I have taught my students to do these past three years.

My last physical class was the showing of "The Pursuit of Happyness." I asked all my classes this past week to take notes on it, to discover at least three ways Chris Gardner protected his dream. I am hoping they discovered he did it by NEVER letting go.

And thus in watching this movie each time with my classes I realized, "If anyone loses their dream, it's their own fault for letting go." And my process continued.

"And I am not afraid to try it on my own
I don't care if I'm right or wrong
I'll live my life the way I feel
no matter what, I'll keep it real,
time for me to do it on my own."

Wow. I just googled this song and correct me if I'm wrong, but it looks like Whitney wrote it! Good for her. I remember the first time I heard it - amidst all her controversy - I got chills.

That's keeping it real. (Thanks for downloading it, Lee.)

One more week to go and I will be officially on a sabbatical. I sat in the blue chair yesterday and wrote a short story. More of it came to me on the ride in to classes. I took out my little notebook and got it down. I have cut away, cut away, and now here I am a writer, right or wrong.

Yesterday I was searching for grants. I am already trying to lay down roots, don't want to go back into the work world I've known for 27 years

stand alone

so I stumbled upon The Brooklyn Arts Council. I read a list of artists in a directory and there at the top was a link to registering!

I clicked and inputted my info. Went to work and received an email from them, welcoming me and accepting my info. And there I was included in the list.

This artist is ready.

The blue chair beckons me.

No comments: