Avoid all fish hooks!

Monday, May 21, 2007

The Orange of the Sun

After the onslaught of rain and broken tree limbs since Wednesday, this Monday brings a blue sky and the cool air lingering before summer's heat beats down. I am thrilled. My a/c has not yet lumbered into the windowsill and Con Ed doesn't own me yet.

Ahhh.

The tinglings of my reality are creeping up on me, though, and I pant for them to come.

Two more weeks and this girl is classroom free!

I have to pinch myself.

NYC and the tri-state region will be mine to roam, hike, glide, and ride! Notebooks in hand, I am as giddy as a kid before Christmas. My mind keeps thinking things up to scare me, but I've pretty much got her quieted down like a baby with cholic, tired, weary, just having to call it a day after a long crying session. The perfectionist in me keeps trying to squash things, too, but I am learning to take baby-steps and swim away from the net.

I am so thankful.

I have it all.

On a sad note, our precious cat, Oscar, has bone cancer and I'm not sure how long he will be with us. The once chubby, hearty eating "handsome boy" is now skinny, drooling from a tumor inside his cheekbone, his left eye starting to swell. But he does not appear in pain, just losing ground, and so if his quality of life goes too far down, I'm going to lay him down. I'll walk with him in the carrier and take him to the vet and ask him to send him on to the Other Side. He's been a sweet boy and we will miss him terribly. He's been as Leila says, "My little man" and I am crying now just thinking of letting him go. He is the one who hugs the girls, two front paws around the neck, lower legs around the waist.

He will be missed but what joy and fun and enormous laughs that orange ball of love has given us.

I will miss my man.

No comments: