Avoid all fish hooks!

Friday, July 9, 2010

The Thrill of Seeing the Unknown

Two days ago I was going to work. It was the second day of record breaking heat for July in the Northeast. I got off the F train and saw a mother with fair skin, about 10 years younger than me, wearing what looked like a house dress, and her face was entirely too red, a water bottle in her hand. Her husband and she and two younger sons who seemed about 10 and 8 walked on the platform, noticeably lost. "Where are you going?" I asked the younger of the two boys, and he turned to me, his face ablaze with excitement and said, "We are going to the Statue of Liberty!" I recognized an accent, maybe British, maybe Scottish or Irish. He was so head to toe delighted with their destination that he caused happiness to rush into me, as well, and into another worker who I told the story to once at my workplace.

That's what genuine, innocent intrigue can do. His parents were flush and morbidly crushed by the weather as was I. But this darling boy created a breeze which is still with me when I think of him.

May he not only find the Statue of Liberty, but stay as enthused and open to see what he has not seen before only heard about.

Long may that sugar run.


No comments: