Avoid all fish hooks!

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

I am home and working and also watching the latest (and last, yes? yes?) storm come in this winter. As a 30-year resident of the deserts of west Texas, I find four seasons to be miraculous and calming. I love a good snow storm (but please go easy on Boston where my daughter lives). So I am taking a break this morning to offer to you some videos that may make you smile and feel as cozy and warm as I do right now.

Spring cometh soon, watch for your seeds to sprout!

Classic. This song goes back for me to El Paso when my own two daughters were still little. We'd drive I-10, dreaming. Later in NYC, they gave me this song and a book about the lyricists for Mother's Day. Grown, I pray we all dance, every day.



Elvis Costello's voice puts me into a creative space and also invites memories that span my youth and into middle adulthood. Every day, write the book.



Susan Boyle and her courageous move into stardom. She KNEW she had the voice. She also KNEW it would go unnoticed if she didn't defy the odds and just walk out on that stage. Goosebumps.



The 70s proved to be a fundamental time of growth for me that just now I'm seeing in full bloom. Back then, a kindred spirit and childhood friend of mine died in a car accident at the age of 17. I've never forgotten Dennis Morgan. He and I were friends and I look forward to greeting him when I cross over. This song always reminds me of him and that diamond sky blue time.



A Star is Born. I stood in line to see it, alone, and just had to see it. I bought the music for "A Star is Born" and played it on my 8-track over and over as I drove in my car, dreaming. And then while at a friend's wedding, I watched the couple dance to "Evergreen," and I sat there, wondering if love makes it? Can it stay ever green?



BoDeans. In El Paso, nearing 40, I was searching, unlucky in love, raising my beautiful family, and knowing there was more for us, but where, what, how would I become the giant I needed to become? Then I heard this song and a fountain arose in me. They came to El Paso to a club and I went. I know for a fact, my applause and pleading brought them back for three encores. There would have been a fourth, but they escaped when I went to the restroom. Their music tells me to stay alert to love. She's always there, flagging us down.



What are the songs that inspire and ground you toward your own unique greatness? I want to know!

Peace and love.

Sheela Wolford is a writer, poet, and Reiki practitioner, living in Brooklyn and knowing life is not passing her by. She is writing a book about her mother and her time spent when Sheela was her hospice caregiver. Please like her on Facebook on Sheela Wolford, Sheela Wolford, Reiki Practitioner, or Sheela Wolford, Writer. Check out her website at sheelawolfordreiki.com, @sheelacheela on Twitter or clickgirl on Instagram.

No comments: