Avoid all fish hooks!

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

When Kristi Laughs

I'm talking to my wonderful friend, Kristi! Thanks to a mutual friend, I have refound Kristi, my friend from the 70s and into the 80s and beyond! Kristi and I were roommates after becoming great pals at the State National Bank where we were the finest, fastest, and smartest tellers in the bunch (well, Kristi was, but I was able to glean my customer service skills there that would take me on to public relations just fine).

Now let me tell you about Kristi.

This is a woman who I cannot garner one, not one time when she treated me unkindly. A true friend like her I have never known and my older girl, Leila, reminds me so much of her that I swear our friendship and partying years served as an osmosis to produce a mini Kristi.

Kristi took hours to put on her makeup that transformed an already pretty girl into a nighttime celeb. The girls of Hollywood and Daddy's money had nothing on Kristi. We rode in her Toyota (she was a major tailgater, are you still, Kristi?) and ne'er got a scratch or in an accident. We drank White Russians, and shooters with like eight liquors in it. I can still see and taste it. The night took off with those!

Kristi had an infectious laugh and when she blew out cigarette smoke from one of my jokes or comments, I was the hit of the club. Oh the men Kristi attracted. I just stood around begging for crumbs and trying to make her laugh.

Those were the days. Whenever I hear "Hotel California" I think of Kristi. Driving into work after sleeping two hours, in the same clothes, not caring if we smelled of dead smoke and beer, Kristi and I ruled the World back then before babies and utter, utter heartbreak.

Having her friendship back via Email is like coming home. Makes me want a White Russian and the sound of her laughter.

No comments: