Avoid all fish hooks!

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

White Wine and Mercy

There are days when the food tastes just so good. As does wine or water, whatever I'm having. Just a swell day. Today is one of those. Sarah is away at a two-week sleepaway camp, working as a counselor, and Leila is home from her work Upstate. She'll be gone in two days and Sarah will be back on the 5th. We dance around this summer and I feel so blessed. So rich. So utterly, utterly happy. Yesterday the epiphany came. I was going downstairs, headed to the mailbox, and I knew right then, right then that my life was headed in the right direction. Why? I had stood up and faced - once again - an enormous fear: And the enemy was...me. I don't mean that I am a bad girl. Nope. What I mean is I realized yesterday that I had lived a long time with fear, with the debilitating idea that I was not worthy of any or much of any grace or mercy. I was ready - all the time - for the gauntlet - for the beheading.

Yesterday I realized I was innocent and moreso had won the victory because I went through a tremendous stressor and had come out - still without knowing the verdict - intact, no, not only that - knowing I had broken through the iron gate of fear. And what I had received, was indeed mercy. Granted strength when the opposite way would have meant ruin.

I am reborn.

Today I feel so happy, so joyous, so celebratory! I pulled garbage cans out for our next door neightbor last week who gets a cut on his rent for doing so, and he arrrived back last Thursday with two bottles of wine, red and white, to thank us for helping him.

Yippee, just what I was craving.

So I've finally uncorked the white as I type this to you and continue to key in the second draft of my novel. Leila is here, getting ready to go to the gym, and well, I feel so grateful that I am here, with my daughter, and one in a job that she is brilliant at and I feel such goodwill to all. Such gratefulness.

And as Carver says, "The rest is gravy, and don't you forget it."

2 comments:

Eben Reilly said...

Sheela--

Finally found my way back here-- it was that 'd' in the middle that eluded me.

Your words remind me of the fountain outside the Brooklyn Museum. Synchronized, dancing fonts that shoot upward and each falling with a hard, delightful splash against the stone. When you step back you see that fist of water at its zenith open like a hand above the rooftops.

Such pleasure, such benevolence.

Glad you're feeling it all.

Speaking of Brooklyn Museum-- you must have seen the Judy Chicago tables. I half hope not, so that Momo and I can take you there!

Sheela Wolford said...

Oh I so want to go! Let's take Leila and Sarah when they come back! Deal!? Sounds marvelous! Thank you for your fluid words. If I could describe as you, man oh man, half the battle won. Love ya!