Avoid all fish hooks!

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Back Aches and Memories


The weather is lovely right now in New York. Inside the City, it's just the few of us who didn't go out of town and a slew of tourists running wild in the cleaned up, spiffed up borough of Manhattan. I remember apartment sitting for my brother and sister in law in the Wall Street district ten years ago this very weekend. The girls and I watched the organism of tourists going up and down the street headed for Battery Park and the Statue of Liberty. Every other sign of life was gone. Very eerie. I was resigned to their black leather couch. My back was morbidly wrenched from three sublet moves. I took Ibuprofen like an addict. That's the night I heard Princess Diana had died. I laid there in pain, and everything was surreal.

But I had my girls and we were planted in a new World. Ten years later, the younger one is packing to return to school. In a week, I'll be sitting here posting, alone. Weird. I've been alone plenty since she went away a year ago but now my older girl is in a sublet of her own.

Everything changes. I have one month left of my sabbatical. I'm going to work it, girl. Nothing else left to do. I believed decades ago in the following quotation by Wassily Kandinsky and I breathe it now:

"I value only those artists who really are artists, that is, who consciously or unconsciously, in an entirely original form, embody the expression of their inner life; who work only for this end and cannot work otherwise."

Last night Sarah, Lexie (her friend from school) and I went to Coney Island. It was grand fun. I was aghast that it was my first time except for a trip to the Aquarium way back at the beginning of our journey. We rode the Wonder Wheel and they laughed at me, a big chicken. Then I watched them on the Himalaya. Took me back to when my girls were little and we'd go to Western Playland in El Paso and ride the Himalaya.

I stood there watching them go around, blips of face, teeth, laughter. I roared and shook, laughing, until I caused the workers to chuckle, too. It thrilled and stunned me. It's all gone so fast. Bring my babies back. I'll be good. I promise. I get it now. I get it.

No comments: