Avoid all fish hooks!

Friday, October 22, 2010

Onward Birthday Girl

Yesterday was my birthday. It was a good one in that I spent it with my daughters and friends. Today, I'm sluggish. I drank quite a few glasses of wine before eating, but boy did I have fun! I have to say, though, I agree with what Raymond Carver once said about how it is impossible to write with a hangover. I'm pleading the Fifth.

The hangover saved me as I haven't written anything today, but this blog post and I assure it won't be very long. I won't lie; I miss my mother and yesterday's birthday was my first without a call from her or a card with a check. We spoke in obligatory ways; and tried to help (better definition would be "change") each other. She tried to save me, and I tried to free her.

My precious daughters.
I'm not being sentimental to say I wished I could have turned 55 with my mother still alive. I know our problems, but I also know our resolve at the end. So I am glad to be posting every day on my progress as a writer.

As a 55 year old woman, I am going to write about my mother and me. But not tonight. Right now, I'm going to be a slug and watch a rerun of "Everybody Loves Raymond." And I'm going to eat some birthday cake. This slice is for my Mom.

No comments: