Avoid all fish hooks!

Thursday, November 4, 2010

"Amigos Para Siempre"

Tonight, I came home after subbing an ESL group. I was
hungry and once again, wondering if I was spinning my wheels?
I went online and read Leila's words that this blog was good.
It was the fireside rush I needed. Tomorrow, I write.
Don't get me wrong, I like helping adults learn English. I find the three hour increments really go fast, that is, once I get into the environment. But, prior, as late as the front door of the establishment, I lament that I am not sitting somewhere alone. But what would you do with that time if you had it? I ask myself. Be real, Sheela.

But you know what? The urge and discipline to write is increasing. It's going to involve sitting and going into another realm; being alone for slices of hours at a time or even a few minutes. What matters is that I stay committed to the blaring fun of imagination. Loosen up, loosen up, Sheela. Strengthen your vocabulary, read more, watch TV less, and believe.

I'm reading Amy Tan's novel, "The Bonesetter's Daughter" and her use of language is superb the way a fine Olympic athlete makes a performance look easy.  "Don't compete with anyone and just write, Mom!" Sarah tells me, and I feel a nagging fear dislodge as I reach for my pen, move to the keyboard, grab a scrap of paper and simply stop holding my breath. Being able to say anything, playing with the arrangement of words and simplicity of meaning is oxygen personified. And helping immigrants find a way to communicate in English is a warm up to my own moment on Mt. Olympus.

Let the games begin.

No comments: