Avoid all fish hooks!

Saturday, January 12, 2008

Dive! No Time to Hold Your Breath


If you are like me - in your 50s or older - and you're trying to keep it all together, gather up all you can, achieve to be perceived, well, my advice (if you're asking) is...let loose, brother and sister!

I went with Sarah to JFK International today. She didn't need me; I just wanted to go. Love that long ride on the good old F train. At first I was a bit nervous trying to remember why I missed a flight to Vegas a few years back and then I remembered while we were waiting for the A (that only goes to Far Rockaway). What if it's slow or late? But it wasn't! Came right away and we jumped on, then got a fright about its direction. But we were cool. Then we were finally at Howard Beach (which I wasn't sure if that was the stop or not until Sarah checked the wall map), and when we were off the train and going up the elevator to what I thought was to catch the bus, the fun began...who remembered about the AirTrain and that the bugger costs $5!? So I said good-bye to Sarah there and then and she was off to Cleveland, but not before she turned around and said, "Mom, you have to take the A back to Manhattan." Oh right...as I was walking to the Queens bound way.

Sheesh.

So humbling. But as I waited, I had to laugh. Getting older is kind of depressing, but if you let it, you're a punk...you must laugh and take gingko biloba. I got an idea for a column as I stood there. It clicked and if I had been ego-driven or trying to act like I was all that, I would have missed it.

Just like I missed the right direction back home.

Keep growing. Turn inward baby boomers! That's where the action is!

No comments: