Avoid all fish hooks!

Friday, July 6, 2012

"If music be the food of love, play on." William Shakespeare

Hello beautiful readers, wherever you are, whoever you are. I think I've done this before, yet on this gloriously hot July Friday, sitting here at my desk, listening to music from Pandora, I am transported into remembering. Thought it would be fun to go back and recover, recount, restep my life in terms of music serving as milestones. Here we go. I urge you to do the same. Miraculously fun. If you do this, too, please let me know! Would love to read and listen to yours!

Mahalia JacksonMy parents were subscribers of Time Life Music and up in the Tundra of Alaska, we had ample opportunity to spend long afternoons playing the records from the album thick sets of music styles. Mahalia touched my soul at the age of 4.

Doris Day I drove my mother crazy with questions over this song. What does that mean? I'd ask her, and she'd say in exasperation, "It means just that....what will be, will be!" My mother transitioned two years ago and recently I heard a remake of this song and I had to smile through the tears.

Herman's Hermits Greenbush, Michigan on the shores of Lake Huron and 1965, my entire family would stand and do the dance. Sugar sweet time. "This is the life," my mother would say sunbathing. I am sure she is doing that now, too.

Carole King Late 1960s, a teenager, awkward, introverted, and lying on my twin bed in El Paso, Texas, feet swaying to the piano tunes, I'd close my eyes and pretend I'd penned the lyrics. Way before videos, I visually saw Carole's song, MTV-style. She was my best friend, big sis, mentor, confidante.

Jim Croce It's 1973, newly graduated from Eastwood High School, and Dennis has talked me into leaving El Paso to attend Dallas Christian College. My parents agree and I'm gone. The next spring, so is Dennis. Car accident. I still miss him. Another brother.

Eagles Back in El Paso, 1976. Roommates with Kristy Kays, the nicest girl I have ever met. Not a mean bone in her body. I'm going to call her right after I post this. I hear she might be sick. She tailgated horrendously, but never got a knick. We were bank tellers at the State National Bank. A few times we arrived at work in the same clothes worn the day before. Those were the days.

Toto Early 80s, and my sister had dragged me out to The Treetop. "You never go out anymore, and you are going out with us tonight!" He walked past my table and blue fairy dust scattered over my eyes. Edward William Wolford, the future father of my two stellar daughters, and my husband would leave a permanent imprint on my heart. We married on October 22, 1983, and he loved this song. It played the first time I knew I was entering sacred ground. My daughters love this song. There are no mistakes.

Bodeans Early 90s, divorced, and out with a friend to hear them. I believe with every fiber in me that I personally brought them back for three encores. They only got away when I had to use the bathroom.

Selena My girls and I were scrappy and they often subjected to my staggering of how to do this thing called raising a family. But on a lazy weekend day, this song could put us into a stupor of happiness while driving to Old Mesilla, escaping so no one could find us. In a few years, we'd fly for good to New York City.

Garth Brooks My first summer in NYC in 1997, and my daughters still in El Paso, waiting for their mom to get a job and find an apartment, I announced to my brother and sister in law that I was going to attend this concert, and we did. I sat there, singing, and feeling NY grow into my bones. So many were stunned I would consider moving there, a single mom, two daughters, and as I sang, I knew my girls and I were home. They would go on to grow wings of steel.

Mary Chapin Carpenter Burning out in public relations, I wanted something different. My spirit was just about ready to fire me, wanting me to fulfill my purpose, this song pulled me through, directing me toward faith and fire. It was 2001 and I had to find a way.

Lee Ann Womack One Mother's Day, my daughters gave me a little book by the writers of this song, the cd attached. Every time I hear it, I think of that. They might not know it, but it was such a sweet gesture, something they do just when I need it most. I hope I can repay the favor tenfold.

Martina McBride This is my older daughter's and my anthem. It just says "run" when you need to.

Jennifer Warnes Near 2008, I knew my mother would not live long. I would listen to this song that so perfectly said what I felt toward her, and I'd sit at my computer and cry deep, soulful tears as the forgiveness I desired for her and me began to heal my heart.

David Gray This song centers me, grounds me into being able to move where I want to go.

Eagles To my daughters. When I hear this, I feel the whirlwind of our lives, and I also feel the swirl of my 20s. I feel the wholeness, the totality, the future, the past, and the precious present. 

Te amo.


No comments: